Thursday, December 11, 2008

Oasis – Dig Out Your Soul

 Untitled-2 

Oasis is probably my favourite band ever. Some people say Radiohead is/was a great catapult for young people into the world of rock and/or roll but for me it really started with Oasis. Sure I had heard other rock bands before, I had a huge thing with Korn when they were big (even when they fizzled out, but when Head left they broke my heart with utter garbage: See You On The Other Side and Untitled), I even listened to Radiohead for a while (great accompaniment to the Harry Potter books btw). But it was Oasis that really opened my eyes to the possibilities of.. the influences of post-punk?? lol

Anyways following oasis I got into travis, coldplay.. wait .. i mean the world got into travis and coldplay because of oasis.. but yeah i went down that vein too and just started exploring with newfound confidence in what alternative rock could offer

so the review for their new album Dig Out Your Soul…

I’d say for the most part, quite good. On par with anything really good I’ve heard in a while (I'm not going to be specific because how can you seriously compare Oasis to MGMT or Lola Ray). That being said.. my first 3-4 listens of this album I barely even noticed it was playing

After noticing this and wondering why this album sucked so hard I took to the review sites, to my surprise there were a few which really liked the album, calling it new and fresh and I was like “wtf no?” so I went back and listened to the songs which they marked as highlights and I was like “how’d I miss this, this is amazing”.

The problem was the long winded intros, which I can’t stand (my brain will filter out the music before it starts to play) and the decidedly midrange sound which the entire album is set in. My brain simply failed to get hooked into any of the songs

Let me say first 4 songs, if you let the intro play out completely.. boring as fuck, rest of the album becomes static.

For the songs Bag It Up, The Turning, Waiting For The Rapture, The Shock of Lightening (which critics are raving about.. but honestly sounds like Rock n’ Roll Star without the range). I started the song at 6.5, 7, 6, and 5 seconds respectively on my iTunes. I also changed their default EQ to dance to liven up the sound a bit.

Those songs first 4 are ok, quite listenable after the edits I made but the album really starts to pick up with Liam Gallagher’s I’m Out of Time. Absolutely tight power ballad. If the song is directed to his brother, as many suspect, it may just be one of the most heart wrenching songs I’ve had the pleasure of listening to. The song decidedly Lennon-esque, even incorporating a sample of Lennon’s voice at the end.

It’s followed by Falling Down which caps off the two song crescendo of the album. The song is very experimental for Oasis, and very well done. The rest is just smooth sailing, Soldier On is another notable track.

Overall rating: A- (after edits)

^^ yeah I was getting bored of writing the review so I cut it at that


* edit I just realized that the reason I'm Out of Time and Falling Down are my crescendo is because (Get Off Your) High Horse Lady was deleted from my library. High Horse didn't cut it for me.. see for yourself


anyways,

The video for I’m Outta Time:

album art jff:

image 51

-tony gallagher (yeah I’m ripping off weworemasks, this whole blog is)

No comments: